sanskrit has many synonyms for critical words. most of the times, the words, synonyms describe some attribute of the original word at hand.
here are some for sky -
- dyauH = द्यौः = where there is lightening; from dyut = lightening.
- abhram = अभ्रम् = one with movement (of clouds). it also means clouds, that move around ; from abhr = to move about
- vyoma = व्योम = that which covers (like a blanket); from vye = to cover
- puShkaram = पुष्करम् = that which nourishes (puShTim); by rains, the sky nourishes the earth
- ambaram = अम्बरम् = covering, clothing; that which covers the earth
- nabhaH = नभः
- antarikSham = अन्तरिक्षम् = that which is seen between (the earth and the sky). so technically, antarikSha is space, but is used for sky as well.
- gaganam = गगनम्
- anantam = अनन्तम् = without end, limitless
- kham = खम् =
- AkAsham = आकाशम् =
- viShNupadam = विष्णुपदम् = step of viShNu. viShNu, in his vAmana avatAra, took three steps (trivikrama) and with one covered the earth, with second the sky and didn't know where to put the third step. the benevolent king balI offered his head, so that the king could his promise of charity of 3 space worth of "land".
like it? then become a fan of the blog. please rate the post as well.
how can this site be made more interesting, useful? share your comments, use the comment link or the comment box below
(c) shashikant joshi । शशिकांत जोशी । ॐ सर्वे भवन्तु सुखिनः ।
Practical Sanskrit. All rights reserved. Check us on Facebook